Sunday, March 28, 2010

Elle - 'The Body' and Money

It looks like the economic downturn has provided an excellent excuse for women to buy expensive lingerie. According to a recent interview with Elle 'the body' Macpherson says: "In a depressed economy, where we can't afford a new dress, we can spend £100 on a new bra and knickers that can feel like a gift."

Well thank you for that little gem of wisdom Elle but I wouldn't normally spend £100 on a new bra and knickers even in a positively buoyant economy. As for feeling like a gift...well it would certainly feel like a gift if I hadn't bought it myself (or if I had a split personality who likes shopping) but the best I have come to expect is an ill-thought out piece of tack from Ann Summers. My one seriously expensive lingerie set I bought myself has been worn only twice as it is so uncomfortable.

As an epilogue I can see where the bubble-wrapped model is coming from. It would have been advisable to reiterate it for the 'average' woman who can easily keep a whole new outfit within the £100 barometer. What she should have said is a new nail varnish or designer lipstick, which I could have understood completely apart from the 'gift part' as I am sill unsure as to what the hell she was talking about. Of course she was merely trying to plug her own lingerie designs by slipping the comment into the interview disguised as genuine insight. This could well be the literary equivalent of Clark Kent's glasses. I.e. A really rubbish disguise.

Currently we are also being told by newspapers and financial magazines that the best thing to invest in right now is gold. Not gold as in jewellery of course, but gold as in pure unadulterated gleaming soft bullion. After these irresponsible articles there are sure to be some naïve readers out there who will now be mincing around in overpriced frilly knickers and gleaming in ornamental medallions whilst thinking they are being sensibly frugal.

I on the other hand am paying rather more attention to rising gas and oil prices. I know that underwear (unless it's thermal) will be of little use to me when the bills start to close in and my supplies start to close up. Its ok for Elle, she can afford to swan off to wherever the sun is shining but I believe that I would rather spend my £100 on a few thick woolly jumpers for the chilly British winter nights.

If you can't hold back from the spending then for goodness' sake look for bargains. Surfing the internet might not have the same instant purchase kind of feeling that 'real time' purchasing does but think of the benefits...you will not only be saving on fuel but you will be saving on plastic bags too, the environment and your wallet both reap the rewards. Now that's a real gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment